For those who like to cram their weekends like they cram for exams – see how much you can fit in to your UOW Open Day weekend.
From live music and performances to delicious food and outdoor adventures, August 19 and 20 will be a weekend not to miss in the Gong. If you have lived here your whole life, or you want to visit, get amongst UOW Open Day on Saturday the 19th, where you can take tours, learn about degrees and maybe even catch a St George Illawarra Dragons star on campus. Then stick around after for all-ages music gig The Last Frost. If live music isn’t your thing, there will be loads of other events, so you can turn your Open Day weekend into an epic weekend in Wollongong.
Check out the list of events and make sure you show us your adventures.
Arts and culture
- The Last Frost: Prep your ear drums for the sounds of Violent Soho, Cloud Control and The Kite String Tangle on the night of Open Day. Get tickets or register for Open Day for your chance to win tickets.*
- ACCESS ft LDRU live: For the over 18s, get your dance on at Towradgi Beach Hotel & Waves on Saturday 19 August.
- Wollongong Art Gallery: Explore the collections and see a range of exhibitions that will be on display.
- Pete Murray live: Towradgi Beach Hotel and Waves on Friday 18 August.
- Anywhere Theatre Festival: Vampires in churches. Comedy in back yards. Burlesque in bars. Performances anywhere but theatre in Wollongong from 17-27 August.
- The Illawarra Festival of Flame: Theatrical performances, presentations about indigenous culture and the importance of fire and the Illawarra Flame Tree on Sunday 20 August.
- Nan Tien Temple: Wander through the largest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere, and stay for a delicious vegetarian lunch.
- Diggies Café: Have breakfast with a beach view.
His Boy Elroy: You can’t go past an American-style burger.
- Sifters: Your stomach will start grumbling as soon as you smell the meat being cooked in a barrel.
Corrimal Street and Keira Street: Take a walk and see what food you can find.
Wollongong Central and Crown Street Mall: For those in need of retail therapy.
- Illawarra escarpment: Pick a path and explore the landscape. Venture up Mount Keira or Mount Kembla, or challenge yourself with the steps to Sublime Point (the view is totally worth it).
- Chase waterfalls: You can find many gems in the region, including Fitzroy Falls, Belmore Falls, Macquarie Falls and endless beautiful spots in the Royal National Park.
- Skydive the Beach: Join 19,000 people who jump from perfectly good planes every year at the only place in NSW where you can land on the beach.
- Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk: Zipline or walk through 45 metres above the forest floor.
- Grand Pacific Drive and Sea Cliff Bridge: Cruise along the scenic coastal road.
- St George Illawarra Dragons: star players will be on campus during Open Day.
Send us your snaps at: